The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) has recently published a series of helpful tips for the Spring season. Let's start by reviewing their "Spring Cleaning" recommendations:
- Check and maintain smoke detectors
- Install and/or check CO detectors
- Check your property for obstructions that may prevent water from draining away from your house
- Update your emergency kit
- Review your family's emergency plan
- Check your car's lights, signals, tire pressure and fluids
- Update your home inventory (see below)
- Review your insurance policy
Spring cleaning time is an ideal opportunity to prepare or update your home inventory list. When you increase the value of your home through a renovation or purchase expensive furniture, art, jewellery or other valuable items, notify your insurance professional.
Tips for Making a Home Inventory
- Keep bills, receipts, warranties and instruction manuals for your more valuable possessions – these can serve as proof of ownership.
- Store records and receipts in a safe place, such as a safety deposit box or a securely online.
- Review your home inventory every year and when you make new purchases.
- Take photographs or video footage of all of your valuable possessions.
- Store records of credit cards, taxes, government and other important household documents in an off-site location.
Print a copy of IBC’s Personal Property Inventory Checklist to track your possessions